If there is anything called as divine intervention or anything called nature’s way of teaching, it baffles me no end. What exactly are the lessons we are learning in this pandemic?
1. Social distancing? Last I checked, the humanity was already falling apart with isolationism. What we needed was in fact people to come closer together. No?
2. Masks? God, when did I last see honest to goodness and a real human, not putting up a facade! Nature wanted us to learn putting on a mask!
3. No traveling? For all the advances in human sociology driven by transportation revolution, we are way more disconnected and ignorant of the world. We are already too divided by nationalism, geographies race and culture. Nature felt the need to bring home hyper localism?
4. Humans’ resistance against virus. Really? We call viruses evil because they mutate to overcome the vaccines we build to destroy them. And what do we call humans who evolve against the nature’s creation to build a stronger force to fight nature? Nature must see that humans are the fastest and probably the nastiest virus that has survived thus far.
5. To each his own. That's what we are taking out from the current situation. It started by humans against virus. Next stage, each nation to themselves, then we broke it down to ‘states on their own’ and let’s not forget the massive humanitarian crisis we created for ourselves through internal migration. We got divided into zones and districts, then localities and communities (many choosing to the have their own quarantine as well). Down to apartment and floors and individual apartments and families. What happened to the spirit of ‘We’ and ‘Us’?
Lastly, fear and not courage? Our actions and in equal measures, our inaction are driven by fears. So why did we need the extra dose of pandemic to discover that? And if pandemic is the greatest marketing tool that nature developed to land us some learning, I am left wondering what that divine lesson is that merits the method.